Wednesday, June 27, 2018

FREE BOOKS AND THE POWER OF STORIES

Last week, I came home from a busy day at summer school and decided to kick back with a good book. I sat outside on the patio beside our bedroom sliding glass door. Our cat Shadow, curled up on my lap as I read. Eventually, he jumped down, but a few minutes later, I felt a tail brush against my leg. I reached down to pet Shadow and instead of his velvety back, I touched wiry fur. I looked down and jumped. A skunk! He jumped too, but fortunately, he didn’t spray. He waddled off into the garden and I rushed inside. 

When I’ve told this tale to others, their responses have been varied; some have leaned closer to hear every detail; some, with eyes wide, jumped back when I came to the word “skunk”; and some have laughed. Whatever their response, all of my listeners had one thing in common. They listened closely to the details and each listener held an image of how a skunk’s fur might feel.

Stories engage the mind. That is why they are one of my favorite tools to use with speech students. Well-told stories and well-written books capture attention, which in turn, creates rich learning opportunities. 

With this in mind, I’d like to share some of my written stories with you. I’m offering Kindle versions of three of my books for free through June 29. You can find the links here: https://www.amazon.com/Ghostly-Night-Jeanette-Stickel-ebook/dp/B01MCSV4KE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529875841&sr=8-4



If you enjoy them, I hope you will consider writing a review on Amazon. 

By the way, in case you are wondering, the skunk came back the next day and I’m afraid the word is out among the wildlife in our area. He is not the only visitor to the food dish. Take a look!

A visiting fox with our cat looking on!
He came back with a friend


He decided to stay so he stole our cushion and cat's bed!






This raccoon wanted to get in on the fun.



"Hey, I could be a cat. What a cushy life!
And yes, the skunk came back but I'm safely inside behind the screen door!

1 comment:

  1. These posts are very informative and effective. Your work is just amazing. Wish you best of luck.
    From Team Impossible Rally Racer

    ReplyDelete