Saturday, November 11, 2017

NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION

I recently started working with a group of nonverbal two-year-olds. You might think they’d have a difficult time communicating but you’d be wrong. Some of them are very skilled at using sign language or other nonverbal forms of communication. One of these little ones went down our toddler slide and landed hard on her well-padded, diapered bottom. With tears in her eyes, she ran to me for a hug. Then she puckered her lips, smacked them into a kiss, and pointed to her bottom. Her communication was quite clear but it would have held an entirely different meaning if she had been twenty-two instead of an innocent two-year-old!

Animals can also use nonverbal forms to communicate with us. Take a look at this raccoon – I’d say he is checking out our cat’s bed and considering the cushy life of our cat. 


This young fox has taken it a step further; he pulled the bed and cushion down and decided to give the cat’s life a go! 

 
Hoping we'll fill the catfood dish!
You may have noticed I haven’t been posting for a while and you might have taken that to mean I’ve grown tired of blogging. In this case, you’d have misinterpreted my nonverbal communication! I haven’t had much time for blogging lately because I entered into new business partnership with two other speech therapists. We plan to bring more children’s literature into the therapy room through our new educational products. I hope you’ll drop on by our website and say hello on our blog! https://www.speechfixslp.com



No comments:

Post a Comment